Monday, February 22, 2010

Moving Along

Good results from the weekend conference. I feel better about my career again...for the time being, anyway. This morning I sent off, via e-mail naturally, the ms that has been haunting me lately because I've waited so long to decide what to do with it. The history of our business and our life is not exactly of national interest and so I've waited, trying to think of the best approach and have decided on High Hill Press which is up near St. Louis. It is owned by a friend of mine and I know she and her husband do good work as I've seen other examples of their books and know their authors are well satisfied.

Now I must begin making lists of advertising possibilities and places I will want to contact for setting up signings when the book is completely finished. There is a lot to the business end of this writing urge, more than most authors such as myself enjoy dwelling on. We would prefer sitting in front of the computer screen day after day, doing nothing but putting lovely words on a white background and admiring how they look. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. At least with this one, I do know my market.

However, today the mundane takes over now that I've taken care of the first step of the business. I have to wait and see what I need to do next from my end for the sake of the book. So I'll shut down and head for the kitchen table where waits THE TAXES!

Wish me luck and hope it doesn't take too long.

1 comment:

  1. Betty,

    We all struggle over the same things when it comes to writing. And now we have to concern ourselves with marketing and the business end of it. What ever happened to sitting in a lonely garret writing the great American novel that some great publisher discovers? Oh, well. We can dream, can't we? But we still have to market. Dee

    ReplyDelete