Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Moving Right Along!

     After a couple of hectic weeks, things are picking up once more. I've been on the computer and the phone countless times with my lovely editor, working out last minute stuff about the new book, and it looks like it will be out sometime next week! Hurrah! Been a long time a-coming.
     Actually, I started the manuscript two or three years ago. It isn't too long . . . more a memoir than anything and regional at that. Tigress Press was all set to go with it when the owner, Janet Musick, unfortunately developed severe health problems and had to close down the company. So it went back into the files and waited until the right press came along.
    I'm so pleased that High Hill Press agreed to publish From Trash to Treasure: Evolution of an Ozarks Junkyard, mostly because it is really a gift to Ben, my husband.
     Another subject . . . the Missouri Folklore Society: last-minute stuff keeps cropping up again and again. There are so many details. My co-chair and her helper came down last week and we went over the meeting site again and worked on the schedule, checked out maps, and tried to think of things we'd forgotten.
    We've been so fortunate locally to have such good publicity. Monett, Neosho and other places have gone to so much trouble to let people know about the conference. I'm hopeful lots of locals will show up. On the other hand, I'm really worried about the membership. We've had problems with newsletters getting out this year as well as some other things. Nothing that myself or my co-chair could prevent and that's what is so very frustrating. We do as much as we can on this end and if it isn't publicized properly across the state, well, I worry . . .
     What wonderful weather we're experiencing but I'm really afraid we aren't going to have the marvelous color we usually have in the fall. After the long long really scorching days of August, I fear it over-powered what moisture it takes to pull out the scarlets, oranges, etc., we usually look forward to. I'm watching the sassafrass behind the kitchen and the "shoemake" along the roadsides and they aren't looking too promising yet.
     On the other hand, we've not had a hard freeze yet either.
     Oh, dear, what a dilemma! I can't stand cold weather so I don't want it to freeze but I love the color so I can't wait to see the results.
     That's me . . . never can make up my mind. Well, whatever will be, will be. I'll take what I get and learn to like it.
     I'll probably gripe and gripe but enjoy it all anyway. 'Til next time, folks.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment